Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to fulfill partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with the typical usage of apps to locate intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to examine the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Use
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their mostly utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) used apps to look for sexual partners, the typical amount of “app-met partners” with who they involved in insertive sex ended up being 1.19; very nearly 1 / 3 for the encounters had been condomless. Moreover, over 25 % of participants had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize
Intimate risk among application MSM that is utilizing had been utilizing a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The research addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the connection between these factors and condomless sexual intercourse. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever utilizing liquor (51.1%) so when making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been prone to take part in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been used when working with any medications or when making use of apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Combating HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their usefulness that is potential among and medical care providers wanting to reduce steadily the threat of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to utilize apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluating. Willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater those types of reporting present binge consuming and current club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance usage, intimate partner violence, and intimate risk using. App-based health that is sexual focusing on MSM must certanly be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Research Center. Social networking Utilize Continues To Boost in Developing Countries, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health conditions for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess sex with males: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. A review of risk behaviors for HIV disease by men that have intercourse with males through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal regarding the Association of Nurses in AIDS mexican mail order brides Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males that have sex with guys: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern usa. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cell phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have intercourse with males in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general public health problems linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and drug usage.
Center for Drug Use and HIV analysis NYU College of Global Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL